Dog Food Reviews: The Good, Bad and Ugly
If you’re like most dog owners, you’ve probably wondered which dog foods are the best to feed your dog and which are the worst. In this article, we’ll try to make it easy for you to know both. We’ll do it by identifying the top 5 best and worst dog foods to buy for our four-legged friends.
Dog Food Reviews: Top Five
1) Acana Dog Food – Chicken Meal, Oats, Chicken, Potato, Peas, Whole Eggs
2) Before Grain – Buffalo, Chicken Meal, Dehydrated Potato, Turkey Meal, Dehydrated Sweet Potato
3) Mulligan Stew – Salmon, Brown Rice, Oats, Salmon/Whitefish Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal
4) Innova – Turkey, Chicken, Chicken Meal, Barley, Brown Rice, Potato
5) Merrick – Buffalo, Salmon and Lamb Meals, Ground Rice, Gluten Oatmeal
All of the above dog foods are free of those nasty and harmful preservatives and pesticides that can harm your dog. Get ready for this dog lovers … ethoxyquin is a fat preservative that’s used as a pesticide and a hardening agent to make rubber. Why anyone would want to feed this to their beloved pet is unbelievable. This preservative is no longer legal to be used in human food so why would we feed it to our dogs? Answer: We shouldn’t.
Dog Food Reviews: Worst Five
1) Ol’Roy – Ground Corn, Meat and bone, Chicken by-product, Wheat Middlings, Animal Fat (preserved with BHA), Artificial Color, Menadione
2) Beneful – Corn, Chicken by-product meal, Corn gluten meal, Wheat, Animal fat, Sugar, Meat and Bone meal, Animal Digest, Artificial Coloring
3) Alpo – Ground Yellow corn, Corn germ meal, Meat and Bone meal, Animal Digest, Artificial coloring
4) Kibbles n’ Bits – Corn, beef and bone, ground wheat flour, Animal fat (preserved with BHA), Corn syrup, Wheat Middling’s, Animal Digest, Propylene glycol, Caramel color, Artificial color
5) Pedigree – Ground whole corn, meat and bone meal, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product, animal fat(preserved with BHA/BHT), Wheat Flour, dried beet pulp, Wheat mill run, Caramel Color, Artificial color
Many of these foods are very popular brands. They are sold almost everywhere and yet they are not what we should be feeding our dogs. First, let’s learn about Menadione. This is a very controversial form of vitamin K linked to liver toxicity, allergies and abnormal break down of red blood cells. Nothing we eat should ever have this in it. Not for humans or dogs.
All of these dog foods list Artificial Coloring. I don’t know about you but my dog does not care what color his kibble is. It is an unnecessary and difficult-to-digest ingredient. The next one is one of the worst, Meat and Bone Meal. This is rendered product from mammal tissues. Prepare to be grossed out as this means the contents contain the bone, blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, and stomach and rumen. This is shocking to find out but now that you know you can choose a different food.
Now let’s talk about the ingredient Animal Digest in dog food. This is a chemically hydrolyzed concoction of unspecified body parts from unspecified animals. Need I say more? It is then sprayed onto the surface of dry kibble to “improve” the taste. I don’t know who came up with this idea; maybe they might change their mind if they had to eat this every day. In a nutshell, we love our animals and we want them to be healthy. Spending a few extra dollars to avoid our dogs having to digest these harmful and disgusting ingredients is well worth it. It makes your pet healthier and happier and you will feel good knowing you are doing the best for your best friend. We hope these Dog Food Reviews were helpful to you!